Of Westward Paranoia

This feeling now
as I exit the bus
as I rent a car
as I rent a home

This feeling now
Woodward
Toward a cabin
And a memory

To find
A smokepit
With smoke still rising
Blowing westward
Westward blown

I stare at the smoke,
And I say
With upright
Honesty
And a homecomers
Groan

This:

I have felt the
Red hot poker
Of fear
Jab into my
Left breast
With such persistence
I believed
I would
Die

I have soaked
Swimming in my own
Mania
Hearing
Bombs outside
The living room door
Just beyond the
Office
Just beyond
the wall

unholiness
dark, winter light
tear gas miseries
of which I know
little
but feel
plenty

I have been
Christ crucified
On electric rails
and great squadrons
of free-thinking
nobodies
surrounded me
with payments
for services
I did not render

Romans
Christians
Americans

gods eating gods
and stones crumbling
infrastructure nothingness
drab men
drab stones
drab gods

From these
I have fled
To my
International automobile
Gone suddenly Freudian
And I have breathed
Breathed breathed

And I will do this

again
And again
And again

until the
war
is over

until I win
my war

this home
of smoke was
once mine
not the Bones
it’s time
I hunt
Him down

And westward
Slowly go

William Tell
The conqueror
A Daughter
A dream
A stone

And bones
Piled
Upon bones

The Black Maria
In a Polaroid

And the bones
Piled
Upon bones

Call me
Westward
home