The Four Trumps of the Dakotas
(Maccabeus & the Man with the Axe)

In which we learn the nature of the bet that led to the death of the Diamond Maid, and further understand the guilt of Ray Lahoon thereby.

Part the Second

Summer
To spring
In my hands:
Time again

A Freeman

Maccabeus
Guerilla
Warrior

Judas Maccabee
The other Jude
A bug in my hair
Wields swords
Axes, sharp

And all that’s left
Is purest thought of

an Israel
We’ve never visited
Nevertheless
We’re always
Ever there

Release us
Release me
From the memory
Of the bloodstained
Bullet
Ridden by devils
a-cackle a-cackling
We want
Freedom
From ourselves

So badly

And Canada’s
So damned
Close

As summer
Turns to spring
Whirls to spring
The everlasting
Turning

Undone
By a bullet
On a wing

Till my mind’s eye
presents another dream!

A queen’s head
On a stump
A girl running
Through a closed door
And stops
Drummed down

Ready to be axed

Maccabeus
The Man of the Clubs
Is the Man with the Axe
Caesar’s dizzy twin

And all things
Bleed into one
Rome and
Israel

All
To me
The same
To me

All stories!
But stories
Reveal
Plans
And plans
Become
realities

You see
A bet was made
by a drunken
sorcerer

Bet you can’t hit an apple
Off the head of your wife

With this gun

A bet was lost
A bet was won

And visitors
Always go first

I missed my wife
and hit the girl

and for the first time
on this long road

I remember
The smell
And the sound

Of it

Choking iron
Sulfurous smell
Hell boiling up
Dante would be proud,
That Chuckler

And oh the blood
of
William Burroughs’
Brotherhood

Concealed
By damned words
By a fantasy

And a want
For purification
By smoke
By wind
By fire

Native

And I want it
Now

And so I go
And as I go
She dies
Every minute
Again and again
Her blood spit out
Over the stonehard
Skull
Of a collector’s
Buffalo

And God
gods
“God”
I want her
Back

And it’s right
That I must kill
To make it so

The sword’s
A thought
Now

And bullets
Are all real

Rebellious
Thickjaw

Brethren mine
Old brother me
Boney Rebel
Waits

Over the fire
And hearth
Of my grandpa’s
Home

Where took place
That described before

So hangs
That Rebel
Bone

Bloodstained
Skull
Surely

As was left

Hidden

MY

Holy
Evidence

For he
shot the girl
Not

I