Interstation Existentia

The clock tickets
forevermore
The tickets tock
nevermore and on
Well the bus was on time
Let's hope the train is ontime too
Upstate and ontime
A firetrack and bombline
A blowndown happy grime
Let’s hope the train is ontime too

"Mister
Mister
What's the time?"

Well now, Shoeshine
What is the time?
What’s it to you?

"I'm asking
Because I need to know.
I’m asking you
Because you seem to know.
So
Please
Please be kind."

You are, aren't you?
Asking
Well well I'll be kind
I'm a chipper guy
Do I look chipper?
I feel chipper
These walls
Yes these walls
I'm climbing up them
Right now
sitting even in this bench.
I'm the very best
Yes
I am Kingdom Come
And dumb unstunned
And thrumming
And thrumming
And drummed.
Home.
I’m going home.
Yes, I'm a chipper guy.

"Just tell me the time."

Well look at that clock there
up there spinning around
and around and around
Like a grin in time
And space
Like a dying chime
That echoes, rebounds
And sends you back
To your childhood face
Wide open, opened eyes
Pupils like saucers
Like outerspace victims
Like the Great Take
Never happened
And there never was
A Great Lie
That kind of chime.

“Just tell me the time, man.
What’s the time?”

That’s
The question, isn’t it?
That’s the best question
To ask, isn’t it?
That’s the one, isn’t?
“What is the time?”
Well here
the time is midnight
Here midnight is the time.
Here
No chimes
Shuffling feet
Going, going, gone

New York
Like the Old York
Like Kingdom Come
I
Am
The
Time

This is a reckoning
For all kings.
Against all gods.
Against all lies.

Midnight is the time.
Noon
The lie.

Four quarters
A clock
Sweating, mealy sweat
Truth
Reality,
And a Lodge

Go I hence
There to kill the ache
And spinning clocks
Twist
In my wake

And the train comes at five past
forevermore
It's always almost tomorrow
Here

And the midnight hour.

"You're weird."

You're right. Goodbye.

"I've got nowhere to go."

That makes two of us. Isn't that nice?
Except wait
I'm going somewhere.

“Where are you going?”

I’m going back in time.
I’m going up. Whence forth
Forth back
Retrackt
Yes.
I’m going up. Like an elevator
And a pig on a spit
Spinning round.
I’m going up
Carousel round
And down. Time
travels
I slip and bound
Around and around.

Yeah, I’m going up
On an elevator existentia
Lateral and upright

way past worth
of
words
worth more than hurts
and births
Alert! Alert!
Wake up kid.
I’m talking,
Shoeshine.
I’ve been talking all this time.

Lo’, he sleeps
A child
With nowhere to go

How sweet.

Shine my shoes, why don’t you, boy?
I know you know the time.
I gave it to you.
Shine my shoes
Before I go