CHIMPS

Witness the bare dry bones of my resurrection
The drunk man at the gate, what horrors
Is he the gatekeeper no surely no
He is the gatekeeper’s thrall

And I that thrall’s thrall,
and so on and ever on

a great joke, all this entropy
laughing itself sick at a cosmic joke
adolescent idiots laughing, laughing
at nothing but their own impotent

CHIMPS
inside
unseen

reviled
unclean

well hey man
you know that ape thing
is tricky

and pretty damned
obscene“heisshitfaced!!!

Yeah. Wow, man. He’s passed out. Look at him there. What’s his sign say?”

I'll read it. It says War Veteran. Will work for fud.

“Yeah. So will I. I love fud.”

And who are you? Sayest I. Who are you?

“I’m nobody. Who are you?”

I am Ray Lahoon.

“What kind of a name is that? Lahoon?”

It is mine. It is my name.

“It’s a freaking weird name, man.
Do you mind? I’m trying to have a conversation here.”

No mind.

[PHONEATSHEAD]“…
Listen I’m out here in the middle of nowhere.
No wait. Now wait a second.
No I didn’t mean that. That’s not what I meant.
What I meant was, he’s away…
Well yes he’s away.
So who cares if you fuck me?
It’s not like anybody’s…
DOYOUFUCKINGMIND?”

Sorry.

“Sorry.”

Where I am?
I mean what is the name
of this street here.
And this one crossing it.
Cruciform.

“Hold on a second.
WHATDOYOUWANT?”

I am Ray Lahoon.

“Sure you are.
LISTEN. Buddy. You see that
building there?
I work in there.
YES THERE.
That’s where I work.
Is that where you’re coming from?”

Yes. That’s where I’m coming from

“Well listen now. This is
The only place I get reception.
RECEPTION. With this.
Phone. So can you just… keep walking?”

I am walking.

“No. You’re standing still listening
To my PRIVATE CONVERSATION.
I would have this conversation indoors
If I got reception. But I don’t. So
I’m having it out here. Is that
A PROBLEM?”

No. No PROBLEM.

“WHAT?”

I said no problem.

“GREAT…
… [time elapses]…
Yeah, so… Yeah there’s this guy.
Yes. I think he’s just got out.
Did you just get out, Ray.
Ray Lahoon?”

I just got out.

“He just got out.
Yeah. He’s just standing here
staring at me.
I’m going to go.
Goodbye.
I…
FUCK.”

It was said you would have a message for me.
What then is your message, sir?

“I don’t have anything to tell you.”

No but you do.
You already did.
Look at this
This city!
There’s no forest!
It’s all brick
Granite
Concrete
And gloam.
And you are
With another man’s
Girl. How long has that
Been going on, huh? A long time
Or is it something new? How long do
You think it will last before he catches on
And does something unspeakable to you?
You know they tore out my father’s fingers
From the knuckles.
You know who did this?
I’ll tell you

“Get the fuck away from me, man.”

Okay. Okay.
I’m going.

CHIMPS
Unknowing
This man
Red in the face
From a tan
Burned
And from shame
Learned.

“Where are you going to go?
I've always wondered...
you know. Where a guy like you
goes."

To find the Rebel Bone.
I thought everyone knew that.
I thought that was known.

“I didn’t know that. Hell. Is that some biker dude?”

No.
No he’s not.

“Well good luck,
You’re at the corner
of Modernity and
Nobody Gives a Damn. Creep.


Creep.
That too
Is my name.
I’ll take it.
It’s better than none
No name at all.
Just an ape.
Clawing at walls.

I strum and hum
past the drunks and bums
And the pavement
Is my drum
and the Great City
my Idol