Pure Mind Unfolds

Pure mind unfolds before the Keeper of the Gate:
a man across the sodden field, a grinning glimpse
Ray Lahoon in his hand a white rose he holds
and steps forth into the gray light
He limps

The tower stands
The rose is white, and as white as it is soft
So it is light
Clipped fresh from the tower’s side
He sniffs it, he grins, he smiles, he lies
“This rose is from a lover
of mine. This rose a gift
so fine!”

The rose was picked
That’s true, no lie
But picked by no virgin
Was too by his father’s
Still bleeding fingers
And set there
On that rough cloth lapel
with a frown and with a wish

Son, please return. Though you have been charged
With the impossible. To seek the Orphan’s brother,
The sage Sorcerer long gone. And to kill the Rebel Bone.
But impossible things are mysterious. And the mysterious
Are mysteries. Yes, please return to me.
And carry on our line.

But failing, return not.
And carry on you then
Thine.

This said beneath the tower’s shade
I there a stone enframed
Pure mind become, my senses
Over-run
And handed to Lahoon
By a young pale maid

Lahoon, weird Sir, before you can approach
The gate it is said
You must take this stone
This fine diamond white
And ensconce it inside your head
Here, here is a little miser’s blade
Used for opening a letter
Take it
and cut flesh instead

“Oh, oh girl!” declares Lahoon.
“But I must give you something in trade.”

What have you, Sir, that I would want?
You’re a dead man.
That forest will be your grave.

“Here. This rose here. White
with this one stain of red.”

It’s fine. I’ll take it. Goodbye.
Walk well.
‘Tis death where you
Shall tread.

“I think you fear the garden
of the Mysterious Emperor,
girl. And fear is gone from me.
I have loosed the rope! I am charged
To find the enemy.
And return the Sorcerer King!
I am a hero.
And you,
For a verse,
A heroin.”

So the rose as swift departs.
Lahoon takes blade to head.
He cuts, incisive.
And places the stone
Inset.

The world slips away.
The rest must stay untold

As two souls converge.
Pure mind unfolds!