The Song of the Golden Marm

Witness: I sing shameless
a song of a strange, source-less flame
less than a snake and more than a name
of light and falseness, of falseness and reptilian bites
with strong brightness raging, it rages!
Witness: a strange, light-less blaze
within its lack, a frame and staging
a theatre, and now
at new curtain’s rise
comes hard upon the moon and sun a halo
round your whole body here on Earth, enraptured
iridescent and blameless
grand, you mute scarecrow soul
burning round your bony whole

And the owl! The owl
is gone
now flies
and whence?
skyward
north and long

She leads the way as I
I sing
and I
I pray
That which I am
I do
and so shall show the same
to you

Lift up your hands
Bone, thou. Rebellious be not now, no!
Gainst me there is none possible
as you, listing, are a ship
upon the seas of my forthcoming
my outgoing
You see I have created nothing
Being that upon which the creation rests
Your unblinking eyes
all covered by your hands
don’t see,
nor will they while you hide
But look: take heart:
if I, as I am I, am true
within your sight
unseeing
then I, as I am I, am Resolution
am even your hands’ gable
there occluding your precious
eyes, all white now, say I
now black the left one
and the reverse! Your eyes piebald
as a buffalo’s!

Screaming – say I no.
And rattling. I rattle. My throat
sore now, so sore.
Screaming – say I again
and thrice o’er
no. I am no sacrifice.
Shall be no drummed up bull

Oh but you need not answer
nor must you speak
You need only decide
Lift you up your eyes
And dare
Willing
Pull back
Willing
Scalping yourself
as you know you mote
And reveal the inner air
down inside your throat
The blood rising up, imagine!
All generations’ forward climb
The blood ascending, imagine again!
Your ancestors’ clawing cry
and missive pining
too these are a prayer
too your body is
Kill then for them yourself,
and for me lay forth your bones
burning down thus your old abode

Yes, it is time to reveal your brother there
upon you, a grid and weight
behind glass but still right there beside you
his eyes all caged by hate
slitted
his gait shuttered by his kneeling
lie, for he rues his kneeling
and spits upon mine eye
And your side
he spears your side with foul words
Knowing not the irony of the spear’s bawdy urge

What do I mean?
I mean you must make yourself a new chair
For your residence is burning
a grain trapped inside its flesh
The house that your father built
it is
and also it is not; how strange;
you exist somewhere within the divide
as surely as the divide exists
the barest gap and sting
And singing you discover
That flowers go forth in spring
even as they before wilt
their brethrens all did die
withering they flew
living, you fly
and even liars
in dying do the same
shameless, it is you they shame
for your spirit,
entire,
resides in the house that your father built
resides there
behind your eyes

Now tear away your hair and head
and tear away your brow
tear away your teeth, your jowls
and look ye’,
for the Owl

Now scream away your hurt and hate
And hymn away your doubts
Sing away your truths, your tells
and slay thee
your brother now

I shall
Yea I shall

And so the glass doth shatter
And shattering reveals
A starry gleam inside my skull
Screamed forth it is released

The glass so broke a falling
and falling, we can not know peace